COVID Reshuffles Business Gaming Panorama in 2020
WASHINGTON – The COVID-19 pandemic had a major influence on the gaming business in 2020, inflicting a 31 p.c drop in industrial gaming income and a major shakeup within the prime 20 on line casino markets. Whereas the pandemic overwhelmed conventional gaming sectors, the business skilled monumental development in rising verticals like sports activities betting and iGaming. All of final 12 months’s shifts within the industrial gaming panorama at each the state and nationwide ranges are lined intimately in American Gaming Affiliation’s (AGA) State of the States 2021: The AGA Survey of the Commercial Casino Industry.
Highlights from the report embrace:
- 2020 marked the business’s lowest whole annual income since 2003, with shopper spending on industrial gaming falling to $29.98 billion, down 31 p.c from 2019.
- All 25 states with bodily industrial on line casino gaming reported decrease income than in 2019.
- People legally wagered $21.5 billion on sports activities, in comparison with $13 billion in 2019. Income from authorized sports activities betting operations elevated 69 p.c to $1.5 billion.
- The Baltimore-Washington, D.C. gaming market is now the third largest within the nation, surpassing Chicagoland and trailing solely the Las Vegas Strip and Atlantic Metropolis. The Gulf Coast, St. Louis and Shreveport/Bossier Metropolis markets all jumped a number of spots within the prime 20 rankings.
“The gaming business confronted monumental challenges in 2020 – and we additionally noticed important adjustments, as participant demographics shifted and rising verticals noticed sturdy development,” mentioned AGA President and CEO Invoice Miller. “From sharp income declines, to booming authorized sports activities betting exercise and overwhelming voter enthusiasm behind gaming, this 12 months’s report displays each the highs and lows of the previous 12 months.”
In the course of the first two months of 2020, U.S. industrial gaming income was up 11.4 p.c in comparison with the identical time in 2019. Nevertheless, because of mandated on line casino closures and capability restrictions, income fell considerably for the remaining 10 months of the 12 months, starting in March when all U.S. casinos shuttered because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Collectively, America’s industrial casinos misplaced greater than 45,600 enterprise days because of pandemic-related closures final 12 months, which means they have been closed for about 27 p.c of the 12 months on common.
By the top of the 12 months, 19 states plus the District of Columbia had energetic authorized sports activities betting markets. Regardless of land-based on line casino closures and the suspension of main sporting occasions within the spring, sports activities betting noticed important development, with People legally wagering greater than $21.5 billion on sports activities final 12 months.
In a survey performed in April 2020, AGA member firm executives, together with industrial and tribal operator and provider CEOs and CFOs, estimated a income decline of barely greater than 40 p.c in 2020 and a timetable for restoration of as much as two years. Q1 2021’s industrial gaming income numbers tied for the highest-grossing quarterly total ever, suggesting a faster restoration than anticipated.
“The primary quarter of 2021 clearly reveals that shopper curiosity in gaming by no means waned, regardless of the challenges of 2020,” mentioned Miller. “This momentum is a direct results of our business’s means to offer secure environments for our staff and friends to return to and is a robust indicator that our restoration is on the horizon.”
In regards to the Report
AGA’s annual State of the States report particulars the industrial gaming business’s monetary efficiency, together with analyses of every of the 29 states and the District of Columbia that had industrial gaming operations in 2020. The report, developed with VIXIO GamblingCompliance, additionally supplies a breakdown of the legality of sorts of gaming and variety of casinos by state, summarizes main gaming coverage discussions and previews alternatives and challenges for the business. The companion State of Play map supplies the report findings in an easy-to-use, interactive software.
- State of the States is a reference information specializing in the industrial on line casino sector. Tribal casinos are topic to totally different reporting necessities and timelines and income figures for 2020 weren’t accessible on the time of this report’s publication
- COVID-related restrictions on on line casino capability and facilities range on a state and native degree. AGA’s COVID-19 casino tracker is monitoring on line casino capability restrictions on a state-by-state foundation.